Horsham, Victoria, Australia
Expression of Interest – Street Artist
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
Expressions of Interest (EOI) for an artists and/or a creative team with experience in the creation of Street Art, mentoring young artists with an ability to communicate well with young people.
What is on offer?
Art is… festival is commissioning an artists for a public art project called “Graffiti vs Street Art” requiring a new piece of public art. The project will present/deliver this piece during the Art is… festival 2-11 June 2017 that will be approved by Council’s Public Art Committee. Art is… festival is partnering with VicPolice, Horsham Rural City Council and NEXUS to deliver the final outcome.
The public location is currently being decided by the Horsham Rural City Council Public Arts Committee. Art is… festival seeks to engage a mentoring street artist and/or creative team to work with local police, Council, Nexus and schools in transforming a vacant wall into a work of art.
The “Graffiti vs Street Art” project will be delivered through an education/workshop program that engages local school students from upper primary, lower secondary (10-14yrs) as well as alternate programs for disengaged youth to understand the difference between graffiti and legal street art.
The project is funded by the Department of Justice and Regulation and is aimed at initiatives that prevent graffiti.
Expressions of Interest (EOI) to be involved in this project are sought by artists and/or a creative team with experience in the creation of Street Art, mentoring young artists with an ability to communicate well with young people. The successful contractor/s will, through co-ordinated workshops, identify the nature of the wall art, assist in the designing of images, design layout and mentor students in its development. The successful contractor/s will need to liaise with Art is… festival over the design of both the community engagement process and wall art.
Who is eligible and what is required?
The process will involve the following steps:
1. Successful mentor artist/s selected
2. Consultation with the students on the design of the artwork
3. Designs are taken to the Art is… festival and Horsham Rural City Public Art Committee for final approval
4. Workshops conducted for selected students
5. Mentor artist/s oversee community artists installation of artwork at the selected sight
6. Mentor artist/s touch up and finish off artwork ready for public display
7. Public display of the finished street art to be presented during the Art is… festival.
KEY PROJECT DELIVERABLES
• Consult with Art is… festival committee members and Horsham Rural City Council on design of the workshop and engagement process.
• Consult with Art is… festival committee members, other community members and Horsham Rural City Council on design of the artwork
• According to Art is… festival committee members, come up with an artistic design layout for the artwork.
• Assist HRCC staff in the appropriate purchasing of materials (purchase of materials is exclusive of the contract)
• Conduct workshop/s with selected students
• Provide mentoring support and supervision throughout the workshop and final artwork process
• At project conclusion, ensure the artwork is artistically applied to an acceptable standard in the Horsham CBD.
The artist fee for this contract is $6,000 (GST inclusive)
This does not include cost of the paint and materials.
It is expected the mentor artist/s will visit Horsham a minimum of three times
1. To meet the skate group and community members
2. To conduct workshops with the student artists on artwork technique and finalise designs
3. Assist the student artists’ in the artwork application to the public location
The project will need to be completed by no later than 31 May 2017.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST REQUIREMENTS
• An outline of the proposed approach to the design process
• An outline of the proposed approach in working with local community members on the artworks
• Proposed timeline
• Curriculum vitae
• Description and examples of previous works
• Details of public liability insurance
• Contact Details
• Young people’s knowledge and skills in Street Art
• Experience in creating street art
• Experience in Community Engagement processes; in particular with young people
• The ability to produce designs that are creative and interpretive in style and expression
• The ability to produce work that demonstrates technical skill and has aesthetic content
What is the closing date or deadline?
How do people book or get involved?
Please provide the sought information as attachments.
E.O.I. MUST BE RECEIVED BY 4.00 P.M. MONDAY 3 October 2016
Art is… festival
PO Box 323, Horsham Vic. 3402
Telephone: 03 53810297 / 0428 810 296